What is NDIS?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is a revolutionary new way of funding disability services in Australia. It has been designed to provide more choice and control for people with disabilities, their families and carers. The NDIS was introduced in July 2013 and has been progressively rolled out across Australia, starting in areas where there are high numbers of people with disabilities living. The NDIS aims to address the key priority issue that exists today: lack of access to quality support for Australians who have a disability or long-term health condition. For many Australians this means they do not receive the level of support that would enable them to live an ordinary life. This can lead to undue levels of isolation, exclusion and poverty which may even worsen over time without appropriate intervention by government or other community organisations.
What supports are available to me through the NDIS?
The NDIS is designed to provide “reasonable and necessary supports” for people with disability. The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) lists the following supports that are funded by the NDIS:
- Personal care services
- Equipment needs
- Community participation support – Aids and appliances
- Home modifications, alterations and additions
- Support Coordination (Case manager to assist people with disabilities organise their supports)
- Supported Living Options
- Specialist Disability Accommodation
For a full list of the available supports, see the following link: https://www.ndis.gov.au/understanding/supports-funded-ndis
How do I apply for the NDIS?
You can apply for NDIS funding by following the steps below:
- 1. Call NDIA on 1800 800 110 and ask to make an access request
- 2. Provide supporting document about your disability
- 3. Attend a planning meeting to create your NDIS plan
- 4. Receive your NDIS plan and start receiving support with us at Motivision!
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is a new initiative from the Australian Government that provides supports to people with disability. There is a wide variety of support available through the NDIS for those who meet criteria. To find out more about eligibility requirements, how you can apply for assistance, what services will be provided by your plan, call our office today on 1800 123 637! We have experts on staff ready to help answer any questions you may have!